Tuesday, November 1, 2005

And I Quote...

 

Guessing what the pitcher is going to throw is eighty percent of being a successful hitter. The other twenty percent is just execution.
Hank Aaron

 

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
-Muhammad Ali

 

I'm not comfortable being preachy, but more people need to start spending as much time in the library as they do on the basketball court.

-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Less than a foot made the difference between a hero and a bum.

-Grover Alexander

 

I got a hundred bucks says my baby beats Pete's baby. I just think genetics are in my favour.
-Andre Agassi

I'll play first, third, left. I'll play anywhere - except Philadelphia.

- Richie Allen

I never met a man I didn't want to fight.

- Lyle Alzado

My way of joking is to tell the truth. That's the funniest joke in the world.
- Ali

I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me.
-Ali

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.

-Ali

I throw the ball ninety-two miles an hour, but they hit it back just as hard

Joaquin Andujar

I like my players to be married and in debt. That's the way you motivate them.
-Ernie Banks

Somebody hits me, I'm going to hit him back. Even if it does look like he hasn't eaten in a while.
-Charles Barkley

Proper preparation prevents poor performance
- Charlie Batch

I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.
- Yogi Berra

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?
-Jim Bouton

If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing you grandmother with her teeth out.
- George Brett

Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
- Lou Brock

Whenever the occasion arose, he rose to the occasion.
- John Brown

In politics, a lie unanswered becomes truth within 24 hours

-Willie Brown

I'll do whatever it takes to win games, whether it's sitting on a bench waving a towel, handing a cup of water to a teammate, or hitting the game-winning shot.

- Kobe Bryant

And I want to say anything is possible. Comma. You know.

- Frank Bruno

I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something.
-Dick Butkus

Hitting is an art, but not an exact science.

- Hall of Famer Rod Carew (he converted)

One advantage of bowling over golf is that you never lose a bowling ball.
-Don Carter

Pro-rated at 500 at-bats per year, my 1,081 strike-outs would mean that for two years out of the fourteen I played, I never touched the ball.
- Norm Cash

 

Nobody roots for Goliath.

-Wilt Chambelain

We take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor.

-Bobby Clarke

Baseball is a red-blooded sport for red-blooded men. It's no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out. It's a struggle for supremacy, a survival of the fittest.

- Ty Cobb

He slides into second with a stand up double.

-Jerry Coleman

 Any time Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points they almost always win.
-Doug Collins

Experience is a great advantage. The problem is that when you get the experience, you're too damned old to do anything about it.
-Jimmy Connors

Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you.

-El Cordobes

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

-Chili Davis

If you step on people in this life, you're going to come back as a cockroach.

-Willie Davis

Well what's wrong with ain't? And as for saying 'Rizzuto slid into second' it just aint natural. Sounds silly to me. 'Slud" is something more than "slid." It means sliding with great effort.

-Dizzy Dean

A champion is someone who gets up when he can't.

-Jack Dempsey

I don't recall your name but you sure were a sucker for a high inside curve.

<SPANCLASS=BODY>-Bill Dickey

The pitcher has to find out if the hitter is timid, and if he is timid, he has to remind the hitter he's timid.

-Don Drysdale

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best.
-Tim Duncan

Baseball is like church. Many go, few understand.
- Leo Durocher

God watches over drunks and third baseman.

-Leo Durocher

I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
- Leo Durocher

I really believe this team has a lot of potential - whether it's this year or in years to come, I don't know.
-Brett Favre

I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a no hit game

-Bob Feller

I didn't begin cheating until late in my career, when I needed something to help me survive. I didn't cheat when I won the twenty-five gamesin 1961. I don't want anybody to get any ideas and take my Cy Young Award away. And I didn't cheat in 1963 when I won twenty-four games. Well, maybe a little.
-Whitey Ford

I know Koufax' weakness. He can't hit.

- Whitey Ford

I want to keep fighting because it is the only thing that keeps me out of the hamburger joints. If I don't fight, I'll eat this planet.
- George Foreman

 bet some of you feel sorry for me. Well don't. Having an artificial leg has its advantages. I've broken my right knee many times and it doesn't hurt a bit.
-Terry Fox

When I go out there, I have no pity on my brother. I'm out there to kill him.

-Joe Frazier

One thing you learned as a Cubs fan: when you bought you ticket, you could bank on seeing the bottom of the ninth.

- Joe Garagiola

I don't know if it's how I speak or what it is about me that presents that sort of label, but I don't know how many times I have to be out in public with a girlfriend to stop that from being said.
- Jeff Garcia

There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all.
- Lou Gehrig

Pro football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors.

- Frank Gifford

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.

-Wayne Gretzky

There are some similarities between boxing and skating. Both require power and grace.

- Tonya Harding

After 12 years, the old butterflies came back. Well, I guess at my age you call them moths.

- Franco Harris

Otto Graham once said that I had 9.1 speed and 12-flat hands

-Bob Hayes

Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing.
- Ben Hogan

It's hard being black. You ever been black? I was black once-when I was poor.

- Larry Holmes

Never get married in the morning - you never know who you might meet that night.

-Paul Hornung

All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.

- Gordie Howe

I had some friends here from North Carolina who'd never seen a homer, so I gave them a couple

-Catfish Hunter

My favorite NASCAR driver is always either the bad guy or the underdog.

- Bo Jackson

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
- Michael Jordan

I'm like an expensive menu... you can look but you can't afford!

- Anna Kournikova

 I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the sixties I tested everything.
- Bill Lee

Every time I look at my pocketbook, I see Jackie Robinson.

- Willie Mays

I don't know whether I prefer Astroturf to grass. I never smoked Astroturf.

- Joe Namath

I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.
- Ile Natase

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

blue on blue is murder to read...

b

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking a look at my journal, and posting a comment. I sent this to "sports addicted" hubby to peruse. Just feeling my way around the journals, as this is still quite new to me. Loved your quotes and awesome pictures, especially the ones of New England. Nice to see what the East Coast looks like from one who lives there...and I promise not to send any ghosts your way!

Anonymous said...

I love these ... they are witty, and insightful... and just plain funny !  Hope all is well, my friend !  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

Woah! Monponsett! (((Monponsett))))
Smurfs rule Girl! You go!!!!!!
I love these quotes they set me off like rocket blasters! You're incredible Mon!
love and hugs,
natalie

Anonymous said...

"Most people my age are dead now.    You can look it up."

 ... Casey

Anonymous said...

<smile, funny stuff, the last one especially, btw God must love me, I played third base also ;>)

Anonymous said...

Some funny, some inspirational (especially Ali's), but this one -- "Any time Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points they almost always win.
-Doug Collins" -- priceless!
Lori