Monday, October 29, 2007

Enough Beta Carotene To Turn A Baby Orange

The Pimpkin Patch

This is Mazzilli's Farm Stand in Wareham. When we heard they had green and white pumpkins, we immediately dispatched Elle and Abdullah to investigate... and bring back proof. No mangy bear Sasquatch here, folks... we deal in fact.

 

The green ones are Snake Gouds, and are strictly for show. Don't be eating the green pumpkins.

 

 

Rotten shot... but those front pumpkins are mammoth... maybe 50-75 pounds. The world record is abut 1400 or so... the 1200 pound pumpkin I saw at the Topsfield Fair was bigger than my college dorm.

 

 

Other than the fact that Mazilli's is on busy Rte 6 and opposite the "White Pines (Lines) crack hotel, the scenery is positively bucolic.

 

 

They also have a wide selection of African Fertitlity phallic symbols. Note the squash and the watermelon fighting for space in the same bin, much like summer and autumn fight it out every October for atmospheric preeminence.

 

The big orange one in the front is called a Cinderella pumpkin, it's wide and thin, and looks like someone tried to smash it really badly before giving up. I bought like 5 of them.

 

Let a man use your camera.. get a half-obscured shadowy pumpkin. I wasn't strong enough to hold the pumpkin and focus the camera, so I didn't kvetch about it til he had long since lost interest in this particular project.

I named that pumpkin Captain Lou Albino.

 

In fact... by the time I left... I had corn stalks tied to my roof, mums, 10 different kinds of pumpkins, 2 bales of straw... and it'll all just sit in my yard til Thanksgiving, impressing maybe 5 neighbors and my babysitter.

 

 

 

There's the white pumpkin again.... just to give you an idea how much weight I can hold in one hand steadily.

 

 

If you plan to rob Mazzilli's, may I suggest just grabbing this cart and taking off rickshaw-style?

 

 

A few pumpkin links...

Cooks.com - Recipe - Stuffed Pumpkin

Pumpkin Chowder Recipe

YouTube - Mayonaise - Smashing Pumpkins Live... YouTube - The Smashing Pumkins "Zero"

itgdcb - Putfile.com (one of the most offensive things I've ever seen, and also brutally funny... I actually spit a Newport out of my mouth when Lucy was bobbing for apples).

YouTube - Giant Pumpkin Time Lapse, High Speed Camera Explosion (if you're going to bed hungry tonight, it may amuse you to know that somebody blew up 1000 pounds of pumpkin pie with a half pound of dynamite.

YouTube - Border Collie Attacks Pumpkin.. my border collie- Sloppy- took about $40K out of my pocket by doing this to my Monponsett house.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard of a snake pumpkin before but after reading this I had to have a white one!

Anonymous said...

I can say I have never seen a dog attack a pumpkin before and with so much gusto.  I tried to imagine what was going through her mind.  Well, it was fun watching her perform anywa in another unusual pumpkin activity.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

I seen one eat a rocking chair one time...

Anonymous said...

Border Collies are all business, even half-lab ones. Mine ate a wall, a door, a carpet, a couch....

Anonymous said...

Stopping by your new journal to check it out!  I saw it mentioned in By The Way.  It takes me a little longer than most, LOL.  
I love pumpkin photos!  One year I did a series of photos like this for my photo shoot (Photo Scavenger Hunt With Krissy).  It was cool.  There were lots of pumpkins and gourds, as well as a reindeer, and a boy jumping off a giant hay stack in a spiderman costume, LOL.  My favorite was the pumpkins and the gourds.  No, maybe that kid, LOL, he was flying through the air.  No, maybe that genuine live reindeer, LOL.
At any rate, you were naming things you can do with pumpkins.  While pumpkin and winter squash soup is great, I make a mean summer squash soup!  This is b/c John has 25% kidney function and can't eat pumpkins/winter squash.  So I make yellow squash and/or zuchinni soup.  If you ever want the recipe, just let me know.
BTW, your photos are gorgeous!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

great photos there Smurfette! very good!
love,nat