Thursday, May 10, 2007

I ate the lobster, and then I ate his tail

Behold... the classic Cape Cod clam shack.

Welcome to Barlow's Clam Shack.

Known among the local culinary elite as Barlow's Of Bournedale, it is a favorite haunt of my good friend the Bournedale Phantom.

Normally, you don't want to eat at a decrepit shanty on an industrial canal a quarter mile from a power plant (and about 10 miles from a nuclear plant)... but clam shacks are to Cape Cod Cuisine what shotgun shacks are to Soul Food, or maybe what greasy-spoon diners are to truckers.

Besides... they fry everything... and any bacteria that survives a fat fryer was probably going to get you anyhow.

Note the ground covering. Those are smashed up clam shells. While a trifle sharp, they are actually an aesthetically-pleasing enough Look. The olfactory benefits can be muted by boiling the shells before paving your place with them, although New Englanders are usually far too enured to the smell of decaying mollusk to waste time on that kind of stuff.

Before you call the Home Depot.... Your average clam is about 2-3 inches long, and clam shell driveways are only economically viable if you have access to thousands of clams... like if you ran a seafood place, maybe...

I was just here for ice cream, and often aim my daily walks towards this Mecca of mine. Why, just this week I had Maine Blueberry ice cream (which was superb) and Lobster Tails (which was an artery-clogging vanilla/chocolate swirl/almond concoction with little halved peanut butter cups- red, of course- that looked like lobster tails)... the latter being so good that I almost had to have sex with the cone.

 

As I became more well-travelled earlier in my life, there were three things I was shocked to learn about the way the rest of the country speaks.

One... what everyone else calls a "milkshake, we call a "frappe." The rest of the USA has no term for a whipped milk/syrup drink.

Two... you only have to get as far as Connecticut before the practice of calling a split-loaf sandwich a "sub" is obsolete. By the time you get to NYC, "hoagie" is useless. "Hero," however good it is as a term, doesn't even make it to Philly. The rest of the country, I've determined, lacks imagination or a large Jewish/Italian population.

Three... no one outside of New England uses "wicked" as an adverb/modifier of an adjective. "Wicked" means "evil" everywhere in the United States... except New England, where it means "very."

The use of "wicked good" on Barlow's sign looks like an oxymoron to 99.1% of the country, but it clearly speaks to me that it this a local place run by local people. I was drawn to it immediately... or "wicked fast."

 

This is my man Hoss The Booty Filler from Grazing Fields Farm, in Bounedale.

 

You may have trouble finding the carved-cod window box at the local hardware store if you live in, say, everywhere but Cape Cod.... but we have plenty.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Iowa we call a sub a sub.

Anonymous said...

We live in a beach town on the the left coast.  I don't think we have "quaint" in our coastal towns or clam shell paving.  I love the sound of things in Cape Cod as I repeat them to myself in California-talk.  Someday I'm comin' to visit.  Get the floor ready!  Blessings, Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere
http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

Anonymous said...

Anytime you'd like... I actually offered your kid one of my cottages when he was book touring last year, but he would have been far from the city he needed to be in.

Nclbrt.... Ask the old Iowans what they used to call sub sandwiches before TV came out. I always thought Iowa was in po'boy territory. I can't see people from a thousand miles inland naturally coming up with such a nautical name for a sandwich. I blame/credit Subway.

I wish that more people read this blog, as it'd be interesting to see what gets called what where by who, and when.

Anonymous said...

...................... .. ... /´ /)
............................/ ..//
.........................../... /
.................... ..,/¯ ..//
.................... ./... ./ /
............./´¯/' ...'/´¯`•¸
........../'/.../... ./... ..../¨¯\
........('(...´(... ....... ,~/'...')
.........\.......... ..... ..\/..../
..........''...\.... ..... . _.•´
............\....... ..... ..(
..............\..... ..... ...\


No offense, anyone.... just wanted to see if that worked.

Anonymous said...

I will always comment on a horse.  Looks like he had character, kind of skinny though.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah, you can go on and on about your clam shells and your frappes and your silly window boxes with fish on them, but you ain't really seen a horse wicked beautiful until you see one in Kentucky!

Anonymous said...

Any horse that comes over like a border collie when I whistle is beautiful to me.

Anonymous said...

ewwwwww the hand below DOES work!  Ü
This was a very educational post, wicked photos too!!  (hows that?)
Ü
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariebm56/PhotographsMemoriesToo/

Anonymous said...

I'm a seafood lover, and now your pictures have made me hungry, lol. As for the different words and phrases that we say from different parts of the country, well (besides my Canadian spelling) what can I say? Having one daughter who just turned 18 and another almost 21, sometimes I feel like I'm communicating with aliens. Actually just found out the other day what a "hump" day was. Silly me. My mind was totally in the gutter with that one, for awhile. I love to bake butter tarts, something that is almost uniquely Canadian. Who knew?

Anonymous said...

A lot of locals tell me that I should have included "pissa" in my list of unique New England sayings.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Green Dragon, Woah MOnponsett! That horse is a beauty! wowSir!
(whistles..)
are most horses up there that gorgeous?(lbinks)
ok SMurfette ...sooooo
what is a Sub called up there? (stamps foot):)
ok Monponsett... so..is a clam shack your rendition of a Sugar shack?
sounds good b.t.w.... uh....
a frappette?lol! very Francais! mais oui!
hugs,nat