Monday, December 18, 2006

I Stay Coming Up With That Jumanji

"I kicks the flavor, like Stephen King writes horror... if I was a Jew, I would light a menorah."

Happy Hannakkuh, or whatever you call it, to all my kosher friends.

The Juwes are not the ones who will be blamed for nothing... but it's a pretty good bet that Jews won't be blamed for Saturday night's entertainment at Madison Square Garden. I only saw one white guy in there, and he looked Irish.

For those of you who missed it... the sports world is all worked up over a 10 man NBA brawl last Saturday. The Knicks and the Nuggets exchanged pleasantries a week before Christmas, a sort of Season's Beatings that was pretty much the polar opposite of what Jesus had in mind while he was turning water to wine and so forth.

I wasn't that impressed, personally. I missed the game, but my husband called me in when Sportscenter started... "Stacey....hurry in here, hunny... it's a regular Katie-bar-the-door."

Hardly. If you don't like watching violence, what happened was.... Denver ran up the score, JR Smith was going in for his second fat dunk of the minute (he had previously thrown down a filthy helicopter slam from the foul line), Mardy Collins sort of bulldog-tackled him, and there was a dogpile that spilled into the crowd briefly.

Carmello Anthony landed the only good shot, a sucker punch on Collins that didn't look like it hurt that much... until you remember that Carmello is a ripped 6'9" guy. Collins dropped like a ho.

Carmello then danced backwards out of the mix... in a move that many mistook for cowardice, but one which I immmediately recognized as what hockey enforcers do when there's a bench clearer...he was getting himself some room to operate.

This gives him the added advantages of:

A) No one can sneak up on him, although Nate Robinson almost did.

B) He gets to square up and pop whoever breaks out of the piletowards him, and may quite possibly get a running start at it.

C) Sets him up to land a Tomjanovich punch. We'll look at Rudy T's beatdown in a future entry.

You can link to the video of the fight in the link down below... from a fellow sports blogger who isn't affording Carmello the same benefit of the doubt that I am:

Carmelo Anthony Drops Mardy Collins, Runs Like a Girl | NBA Blog - The FanHouse

 People are calling for 50 game suspensions, although it was more pushing than punching. There were probably 10 better fistfights in the NHL that night, and these were free-wheeling brawls where 2 guys were allowed to slug it out and the crowd is safely behind thick plexiglass. Honor demands that no one jump in

 In fact... thanks to hockey, I've seen worse stuff than that. The Artest brawl wasn't as scary as Milbury beating a guy in NYC with his own shoe. The best shot landed in the NY/Denver brouhaha would have been the weakest shot in any of a hundred Jay Miller brawls back in the day.

This was no slobberknocker. I'd fine Carmello the most, for his sucker punch.

"...and of course I hit you, let the Lord be wit' you..."

 

But wait... there's more!

Top News- Let It Be Whale Vomit, Not Just Sea Junk - AOL News

Gotta like this. She's the new Duke of Hurl. From what I read, it sells for $10 a gram... about the same as marijuana. It's amazingthat some form of sperm isn't the nastiest thing that comes out of a sperm whale.

"I can bust you out with my Super Sperm...."

Thanks to my man Rob at 8's All Around  for the link.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Smurfette! high Fives !:):)
I heard about tath fight beasiclly becasue my teen was trying to egg on an adult fan about it.. the man left the room! ah the Olympics!...the pride...the gore... the pain...err.....whhhat?
Happy Holidays Smurfette!
hugs,natalie
ps ended up listing Smurfs as one of my fav toys in Scalzi's assignment! wouldn't you know it!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

It was a pathetic fight, but an even more pathetic display of sportsmanship.

be well,
Dawn