Thursday, October 21, 2004

Pure Hope

post Game 7 Notes...

   I started this thread with babies, and circumstance has forced me to end with the elderly. After last night's game 7 whupping of the Legion of Doom, I finally took poor Sloppy Dog for a much overdue walk.

   Monponsett is the kind of town where a small woman can walk around safely after midnight, especially if she carries Mace...for coyote, of course.

   Sloppy, who is a lovable border collie, had patiently waited for her walk, and she was dogging it up, sniffing, marking territory, chasing cats, and running up on people. She and I walked by several houses with 20 cars parked outside of them, as we eventually made it to the more woodsy part of Monponsett.

  Monponsett- stuck in the middle of the Great Cedar Swamp and the Twin Lakes- is a strange place to hear 1 AM screams. I'd be in the woods, and a breeze was ruffling the trees. When the breeze stopped, one could hear the sound of distant celebration. I was overjoyed, and the night had an almost surreal air about it. I would imagine that V-E day had a similar sound to it around these parts.

   At the end of the street, I walked by Mr. Valjean. He isn't a Jean, but he was happy to see another Frog move to the neighborhood. I see him on a lot of my Sloppy walks, usually as he is sitting on his porch, listening to the Sox game on the radio.

   Mr. Valjean is, by conservative estimate, 170 years old. He calls me "The Schoolmarm," and I called him "Sir," until he said to call him "Henry," after which I called him "Mr. Valjean." He is one of those old charmers, and I usually see him 3-5 times a week, depending on which street Sloppy pulls me up. The same routine every time, too:

"Heyyyy...it's the Schoolmarm"

"Hello, Mr. Valjean....how's the game going?"

"Whipping them, hon....absoultely whipping them."

   One time, I came to their house to thank them for a cake they sent by when I had Melissa(I have 2 kids, a dog, a live-in sister and a 270 pound husband who all benefit greatly from having a French person run their collective kitchen...and the household suffers if I am unable to cook... my sister is completely American, and hasn't really taken to cooking yet- my husband refers to the 3 days I was in the hospital as "The Starving Time"). After talking about the game, I told him I was looking for Mrs. Valjean.

"Funny...I'm doing exactly the opposite."

   Anywho....last night Mr. Valjean was sitting on his porch as I strolled by. I knew he'd be up- even though it was nearing 1 AM. I wasn't surprised to see him on the porch, drinking a beer. He greeted me loudly, and I responded with a primal scream of my own. Eventually, I made it to the central question:

"How good was that?"

"I'll tell you, dear....I'm not as young as I look. I was a child when they won it in 1918. I truly felt that we'd never break that damned Curse, and I'm glad I lived to see us humble those ******** Yankees."

" Sir...did you ever stop believing?"

"Hell no,dear....I was a POW in France. I'd get a bowl of stew a day. I was there for a while. General Patton's 3rd Army liberated us. As they took the town, the Germans were killing prisoners. They stopped the job before they got to me, of course."

   I just stared. I'm smart enough to let old people roll with their stories. I took the beer he offered me, and kept listening:

"When Patton reviewed the camp, I actually had a chance to speak to him. I thanked him, and he took my hand and thanked me. I asked why, and he said 'for never giving up hope.' You know what I told him?"

"No, Sir"

"I said 'Hope? I can only hope you have an extra rifle- I have a year's worth of Nazi ass to kick.' Patton smiled, which was strange enough. He was dead a short time later, and I like to think that I gave him alaugh on a day that was probably most unpleasant for him."

"Anyway...waiting for Patton when the Germans are shooting my fellow prisoners- that's hope, Stacey. Waiting for your baseball team to break a Curse is merely like waiting for a bus after that."

"I guess it would be, Sir."

"God damned right. But I'll tell you....after being liberated, this is a close second."

   Sloppy and I walked home afterwards. It was pushing 2 AM. Mr Valjean may not be long for this earth, but I look good for 50 more years, or so. While Mr. Valjean's story about Patton had a bit of Commander McBragg to it, I will never forget the look on his face as we spoke. He wouldn't admit it, but I could tell he may have been holding out on just how relieved he was with this Sox victory.

   After all he's seen in his 170 years of life, his mind was blown by what happened in Hell's Kitchen last night. I don't know if that speaks to how shallow our lives are- this man saw wars, men on the moon, 9/11, Patton, you name it- or if baseball truly does reach some part of us that never, ever loses hope.

   Down 3-0, facing the very Soul of Evil itself.... but in the end, 2 French-Americans of differing eras share a six pack over the Corpse of Curses Past. St. Louis or Houston is about to be hit with a Karma Sledgehammer, and the world itself may be heading towards a new era of positivity.

À la Victoire!!!!!!!!!

 

Sexiest Athlete Poll

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I HOPE the Sox can go all the way, at least for Mr. Valjeans sake :>)

Anonymous said...

Good Job, Monponsett.  I "got it" (your tongue-in-cheek humor) and as a Braves fan, I feel your pain.  Boston is a very racist place though but that's okay.  Racists have to live somewhere too.  I predict the Red Sox in 5.

Chisuplady  

Anonymous said...

Is someone from Atlanta calling Boston racist???? Oh, the humanity...


Anonymous said...

But you really do not get it, chisuplady.  Racist thoughts posted on the Internet do not qualify as tongue-in-cheek humor.  They do qualify as hate crimes in many jurisdictions.  It is pathetic that a person would think it humorous to insinuate that they are raising their own children to hate and/or to learn ethnic slurs to repeat in school.  Nobody forced monponsett to post this garbage online.  It is a reflection of who she is -- we are all responsible for our own actions and deeds.    

Anonymous said...

Yes, someone whom lived, worked and married in Boston and who was run out of South Boston because my tan was showing, now lives in ATL. Yes, first hand experience: Boston is a racist town.  It's okay, Monponsett, I didn't call you a racist.  It was some of your other unenlighted comrades, that's all. Calm down now!  

Anonymous said...

They ran you out of Southie because you were a dork.

Can it be a Hate Crime when I say "I love the big Cuban SOB," or is there a Love Crime statute?

The media named Matsui "Godzilla"...I just commented on the irony. If Godzilla had wrecked Moscow in those films, I'd have saved that joke for Maria Sharapova.

People...listen. I sort of assume a persona when I do this. I make every effort to be over the top. If you're easily offended, I would make every effort to avoid High Above Courtside. I only submitted that column after deleting what I personally found to be offensive. My standards may not meet yours, and I could care less. Your children will probably end up working for my children.

Anonymous said...

You really shouldn't share your writing if you are going to have thin skin, Monponsett!!  I GAVE YOU A COMPLIMENT, LADY. I ENJOYED YOUR WRITING.  People who resort to name-calling (dork???) have NO imagination (surprised me after reading your CREATIVE article).  At least, that is what I teach my child (who by the way, also doesn't know hate and doesn't call people names either).  Take it easy with the feelings or you will have, like, a nervous breakdown or something, if you react this way to a COMPLIMENT.

GO SOX!  

Anonymous said...

Sorry Chips....once I start swinging the hammer, I drive in every loose nail...even the innocent ones. My bad...

Anonymous said...

Dear chisuplady, if you are upset to be called a "dork", then imagine my outrage with the author of this nasty blog.  In case you missed it, the thread continued on Monponsett's "Pure Hatred" page.  After I let Ms. Monponsett know that, as a Cuban-American, I found her "Cuban SOB" comment to be rude and racist, she responded with an extraordinarily insensitive remark directed at people of Cuban heritage.  Monponsett wrote, "What inner tube did key117 ride here? Never a good Tropical Storm when you need one."  She left no doubt at all that she is a racist.  

Anonymous said...

Oh, this was amusing;my first time reading and responding to a blog.  But, I really do have a life, so I've gotta go.  But, Key1117, lighten up too.  If I had a dime for every racist sexist STUPID comment that I heard (ALL Black people are football playing, basketball shooting, lazy, drug addict, welfare queen-cheating, sex crazy felons), books/articles that I read ("Gone With The Wind" is a classic?), I'd be way richer than Oprah.  Monponsett was doing her 'writing thing', which the U.S. Constitution allows her to do (Yes, she is allowed to call me a dork - but not to my face (smile), Ortiz a Cuban SOB, call you--what was it exactly that she called you?).  Fact is, the Red Sox are gonna win the World Series for the first time in a LOOOONNNGGG time, and Monponsett was expressing her happiness about that (at least that's sorta what I get from it).  Report her to the AOL police if your found her writing to be insensitive, which is your right.  But, PLEASE ENJOY the WORLD SERIES and LIFE!!!   BYE Y'ALL

Anonymous said...

You apologize to chisup for calling her a "dork" yet you proudly defend your use of the phrase "Cuban SOB".  That speaks to your true character.

Stacey, being that you claim to be a schoolteacher from Duxbury, Massachusettes it is particularly outrageous for you to author a blog in which you joke about your children making racist comments in school.  

Anonymous said...

Chissup, your knowledge of the law is not accurate.  The First Ammendment of the United States Constitution does not guarantee unrestricted Freedom of Speech.  There are many legal limitations on Free Speech in this country.  For example, in accordance with the AOL Terms of Service Guidelines, Montponsett is contractually obligated to refrain from hate speech. There are also statutes at all levels of government which make the directing of hateful and/or racist comments to a specific person a crime.

Anyhow, here is the specific AOL guideline that montponsett violated with her racist remarks about Cubans:

"You agree that you will not use Hometown to distribute or facilitate distribution of any content -- including text, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information -- that is intended to victimize, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. Hate speech is unacceptable anywhere on the service."

Anonymous said...

I can see that you won't be drawn to the Dark Side, and your arguments haven't driven me to any sort of act of contrition.

So, where do we go from here.

I'd rather not repeat stuff over and over again in some goofy Internet argument. You've made your points, and while I don't feel that I did anything wrong (though the tropical storm joke was in the ballpark), I am sorry that something I wrote offended you and that other person.

I'm not changing my style. I'm not blocking you from posting comments- you may blurt out a new cold fusion theory, and I'd miss it because I had tired of angry Cubans. You can read this page, or you can avoid it. You can bring your complaints to George Bush himself, if you so desire.

I'd like to someday have you enjoy reading something I wrote, but I could understand if that never happens. Who knows, maybe I'll see the light.

Do what makes you happy.

Anonymous said...

If the Yankees can't be there, I'm going for the Cardianals.... ;-)
~JerseyGirl

Anonymous said...

When Jersey Girl and I finally wrestle to decide Sox/Yankees supremacy, I fully intend to bash her into her husband's Bambino Shrine if I can get both of my hands into her hair.

And I like her....you should see how I treat enemies.