Monday, July 17, 2006

Farewell

So Long, Old Friend

I found out last night that my former boss, friend and SBL original Bob Wooldridge died in a terrible accident on Saturday afternoon. He was skateboarding with his son and was struck by a car in the street in front of his house. I don't have the words to express how sick I feel about this right now, and I can't imagine what his family and closest friends must be going through.

More: AOL coworkers Joe and Jeff, who also worked for and/or with Bob over the years, have this and this to say about him. SBL listener and participant Diecast Dude has this. I thank them all for the memories. Yet even more Bob here: Hummingbird Mind: On the Death of a Friend and MoBetta with ...and Into the Black. But wait- here's more: Head Butler - Products

Update: We paid tribute to Bob at the end of tonight's SBL. The show can be heard here and we start talking about him at the 58-minute mark. "Highlights" include us playing a song from Bob's favorite band, the Replacements, as an outro.

 

It's strange losing a friend from AOL. I've known Bob for 2 years, but never more than as an IM or a cute comment in my blog. Still, Bob was always on the Buddy List, and he was never grouchy when you said hi.

In case any of my other font friends wonder if you'll be missed when you're gone... I've been crying for about an hour now.

No one deserves to go, but few deserved it less than Bob. I can pretty much tell you that this blog would have been dead last summer if Bob didn't talk me back into it, and encourage me to keep writing.

Bob made you feel good about your writing. "I'd hire you in a second if I could" sounds AOL employee-ish, but when Bob moved to WCSN.com, he started nagging me for articles. Here's proof;

WCSN.com: News

Bob was a Cape Cod kid, and he always planned to move back here. I'm watching the sun set over the bay right now. There's no joy in it for me, and a lot of the wind has been sucked out of this blog, for that matter. I may be back.... the future is a big space, and I'm only worrying about finding a place to cry in private.

Good bye, friend... thanks for believing in me. You'll be missed.

 


Tag:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob was always a big fan of yours, Monponsett.

Anonymous said...

And I, of him.

I'd miss you if you got killed too, Jamie.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Monponsett,
My Deepest Condolences with your loss of your dear friend and boss.
I will be thinking of you.
keep in touch
love,natalie
ps How was he like a hummingbird?
Did you mean in the Native American sense of warrior?
love,nat

Anonymous said...

All I can say is I am so sorry for your loss!  My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Lori

Anonymous said...

The Hummingbird thing was a link from a friend of his.

Anonymous said...

You're right. You're just right .. it's amazing how effectively and effortlessly he touched everyone he ever came across...

Thanks for your comment, too...