Friday, February 23, 2007

I'm Your Huckleberry

from East of Boston at CapeCodToday.com

NBA- Former Celtics Star Johnson Dies at 52 - AOL Sports

That's Dennis Johnson, as AOL Sports editors sometimes forget that- at any given moment- there may be 8-15 guys named "Johnson" in the NBA. 

First, the dirt...DJ was well-kmown around the Massachusetts bar
scene, even after his heyday. He was also a chain smoker, which is
rare among American players. There were also some rumors of Tony Yayo,
but there's no need to put that stuff up here. Should be an
interesting autopsy, though...

I will also not let DJ's passing go by without expressing my feeling that Dennis Johnson was the ugliest man/woman/animal on God's green earth. He looked bad out there next to Sandy Ainge, afro-perm Bird, Frankenstein-build McHale and cigar-store-Indian Parish.

Bad stuff aside, it has long been my
opinion that the Boston Celtics chose the wrong 1980s guards to run
their teams over the 1990s and 2000s. M.L. Carr, Doc Rivers, Chris
Ford and Danny Ainge were all second-rate basketball intellects
compared to DJ.

Also...kids... remember that DJ was a flat-out all
star before coming to Boston... and that no better job of a big star
sublimating his ego (and his game) for the good of the team ever
existed than DJ on the 1980s Celtic teams. He had multiple title
rings to prove it.

Finally... his 1987 lay-in off the Bird steal
was/is/shall forevermore be the most clutch thinking I ever saw on a
basketball court. Anybody could have made the shot... very, very few
would have been in position to take it so quickly. His last second
dagger against the Lakers (after what I think was a 3-17 shooting
night) was also tres clutch.

The NBA lost a classic, and "every light
in Fat City went dim when they heard you'd finally cashed your
check."

4 paragraphs of slander, and 4 of unabashed, dick-sucking hero worship.... that's how I like to do my post-mortem articles about deceased heroes from my childhood. Wait til ALF dies...


YouTube - Sebastian Telfair Streetball HighLights

It hasn't worked out for Bassy here in Boston yet, but the kid has fat, mad skills with the rock. Put a 12-rebound-a-game guy on the Celtics (coughGregOdencough), and Bassy could run some hella fast breaks.

This is young Sebastian practicing his craft in Brooklyn. He travels and palms a lot, but God-Damn!

 

YouTube - Boston Celtics Dancers Debut

Wareham's own Cherie Blier leads the Celtic Dancers into batle against the despicable Detroit Pistons. The hi-tech leadoff is weak, but Prime Young Girl will always be Prime Young Girl.

BTW... Cherie's line in the interview about the Lucky The Leprechaun not being all that "lucky" with the Celtic dancers was funnier than anything I produced, and I walked into that interview (East of Boston - Wareham's Own Celtic Dancer..) with scripted questions.

 As for the video.... well, Cherie suddenly appearing out of nowhere with Eddie Van Halen tearing apart the audio most likely killed Red Auerbach.... but I bet ol' Red went out smiling, or at least with a stiffy. It nearly gave me a stiffy, and I went to Smith.

If Mrs. Blier would be so kind as to log in here and tell us which one Cherie is in the video, we'd all be most appreciative. "She's the pretty blonde," sayeth the Colonel.

 

YouTube - jay miller at john kordic - Mr "T" guest appearance

Christ, I love hockey.

I think Kordic is dead now, while Miller most likely rarely has to pay for drinks at the Courtyard in Falmouth. These two went at it all the time while Mill Dog was on the Bruins, and no love was lost when Jay headed West. Look for the Mr. T cameo at the end of the festivities. "I pity the fool..."

Now that Cherie is checked off, Jay Miller becomes the Cape interview that I must have.

 

YouTube - Mako Shark Jumping

Thanks to CapeCodCharters.net. This video is why I absolutely never, EVER lean over the side of a boat.

While we're talking fish... someone caught the largest Colossal Squid ever caught:

Top News- Rare Squid Could Be Largest Ever Hooked - AOL News

 

YouTube - Gatemen - August 9th

If you ever wondered what the "NO PEPPER" on the infield walls around Fenway means... well, this is Pepper... as performed by the Wareham Gatemen during a rain delay. The true practice of Pepper involves bunting, but it's all the same in the eyes of a schoolmarm...even a comfortably retired one. You could take an eye out with that.

Teen girl commentary, too.

Speaking of teen girls...

Here's what happens when you stuff two of them into a car for a 6 hour trip to Cape Cod, and put a camera on them.....YouTube - fightttt

Notice how Mom never changes her facial expression?

I was one of 4 sisters, and no car was big enough to accomodate us. I've been held out the window by the waist while we were going 45 mph once, but I also wrenched Shea's head in between the seat once so bad that my father had to pull over and get her out with the crowbar. She still complains about that to this day, and we were fighting over my ALF doll, as I recall.

 

YouTube - Blizzard of 78 - impacts on Coast Guard Beach

Matt Noyes laying it down NECN-style about Coast Guard beach in Eastham during the Blizzard of 1978. Henry Beston fans will notice The Outermost House washing away at the start of the video.

While we're at it.... here's a video by a band called YouTube - Blizzard of 78... well, minus the "You Tube" and all. It looks like exactly the video you'd be watching before you woke up in the hospital after the gaybashing.

 YouTube - Nor'easter breaks up ice sheet Nantucket Sound

If someone buys me a camera, I will go to Duxbury and get the best Nor'Easter footage ever taken. I have the grapefruits, if someone has the camera....preferably one of those waterproof ones, so the Colonel doesn't get it all soaked on you.

 Yeah...like I'M going out there in that crap.... righttttttttttttt.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how you make me laugh... lol  I love hockey too!

The Celtic dancers weren't too shabby!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

wow Smurfette!
whata great entry! thanks Buddy!
love ya,nat