Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I'm on the mound with the butane fireball...

Click to go to page

Briggs & Stratton Diamonds In The Rough

Thanks to her superb essay, her Dad's top-notch photo work, the good people at BriggsandStratton.com, and maybe a touch of help from unknownst-to-her AOL and CCToday friends, little Katelyn won't be swinging the lumber at some second-rate sandlot. No, Katelyn wins $20,000 of field repair, and- get this- a clinic from Lou Brock and former Sox catcher Carlton Fisk.

For those of you who slept through 1975 (or weren't born yet), Fisk is the guy who you see coaxing out the Game 6 winning homer in the World Series that year. He is mentioned right at the top of any Best Catcher In Boston History conversation. He has a cool nickname- "Pudge."

Fisk also had a great career after leaving Boston for Chicago. If you ever saw Bull Durham and enjoyed the part where Costner (greatest baseball urban legend ever, but that's a tale for another entry) chews out some kid for not running full speed after hitting the ball... tip your cap to Pudge, who did it on national TV about, I'm guessing, when they were writing the script for that movie.

Brock was a superb fielder who also held the stolen base record for a few decades. They tell me he was fast enough to run around in the shower without getting wet. He's also in a rap song- "If knowledge is the key, then just show me the lock... got them scrawny legs, but I move just like Lou Brock."

Brock won a title in his time... correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not won against our very Red Stockings? Well... we've won one since... we can let him slide, seeing as he's now helping our kids with their skills. Pre-2004, I may have killed him myself... and I wasn't even being considered  in 1967.

Both Fisk and Brock know more  about baseball than you or I, and the Sagamore Beach baseball players will be a lot better off after hearing these two drop science. Big ups to Briggs and Stratton for coming correct with the prize properness. Go by their site and buy a wood chipper or something. They earned it.

Finally, let's all give three cheers to Katelyn! She whipped like 20 other kids from all around the country, made a huge impact on the local economy, hooked up her team with a free clinic from two big-name stars, and got her name in the paper. Not bad, for an 8 year old.

My work here is done.... Katelyn can get me my cut of the loot through Walter Brooks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to meet Fisk! I collect baseball cards. Yes, you men, women do collect them too! I have several of him.

Anonymous said...

sounds good to me! and looky at you all fancy with music embedded!  my kid tried soccer this season, is a hopeless cause.  the kind of kid to score a goal in the other team's net, oh  wait I did that on the dhahran acadamy basketball team...so yea, soccer not her sport.  maybe we'll try softball! LOL

Anonymous said...

Horray for Katelin!:):) thanks for amost amsuing read Smurfette! love adn hugs, natalie
ps Yes It does looka s though she could teach any number of people how to play! :)hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

RECOUNT! RECOUNT! RECOUNT!

-Dan

Anonymous said...

I already lost the link, but I've been told that she plans to use the money to erect a mini-me Green Monster.