Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Squall

A few notes here...

A) While these waves aren't huge, they are notable in that we usually don't get waves

B) I had access to a camera

C) This counts as sport, as some of my readers may be really small surfers.

D) It was stormy, but no rain had fallen yet. As I took the last one, I could see a white mist moving across the water (the squall)... but the picture I took of it failed to work. I got soaked after taking it, too.

As close as these houses are to the ocean, it isn't that bad when storms come. These are huge waves for this beach. Astronomical high tides can flood around the houses, which is why they are built on stilts. The 1938 hurricane was the last to really eff this beach over, and that had 180 mph+ winds.

 

If I was this close to the water in east-facing Duxbury with a 40mph wind, I'd be very, very underwater. Buttermilk Bay is south facing (from my end, anyhow), and only incoming hurricanes will really pound it.

 

You can usually walk over to that sign, which is used to explain shellfishing rules. I tried to zoom in on it, but it was maddddd blurry.

In the above and below photos, you can compare natual seawall vs. concrete block seawall. The rocks can be moved by heavy surf, but the concrete will crack and collapse with more vehemence.

The US Army used this beach to do D-Day test runs, and it has been a cottage village since after WWII.

Unless that global warming stuff is BS, this dude may own a real fancy dock in 2075.

 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mon,
Cool beans! Nice photos really.
Very interesting! hugs
natalie

Anonymous said...

Great pics!  I really am going to have to visit the New Jersy shore someday.
Lori

Anonymous said...

LOL!  I like that some of your readers may be very small surfers.  I imagine that some of them probably are.  If I were very small, I'd want to be the midget that raced around the place called "The Blowhole" in the '20s.  Inside, the lights were turned out and blasts of air fired up out of holes in the floor.  The little guy ran around with an electric cattle prod and shocked people while all the women's skirts were being blown up around their hips.  LOL, isn't that crazy?  

Anonymous said...

That's Cape Cod, not New Jersey.

Anonymous said...

I love the water! I really need to live by it.....I don't care if it's an ocean or a lake, I just have to be by water.Hmmmmm......I wonder if it has to do with being Aquarius?? lol

http://journals.aol.com/demandnlilchit/LifeasIliveit/entries/1203

Anonymous said...

I don't think so, Demandn... I'm a Libra, and I can't stand to be near a scale.

Anonymous said...

On LI we get unusual high tides during storms.Your cement walls wouldn't do much on LI.
Cool photos~
Marie

Anonymous said...

This is a bay, with very little wave action. I used to live on Duxbury Beach, and we'd get 10-15 foot waves now and then.