Sunday, April 20, 2008

Bruins/Montreal

ESPN - NHL - National Hockey League

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle... the Boston Bruins force Game 7 against Les Habitants.

Is hockey drawing me back in? I used to love it as a child, but a couple decades of us not being able to beat any team of consequence has sort of left me at the point where I can't name 5 of the current players... including the guy I have the jersey of.

Hey... it's not like I earned it, so let's not go there.

Simple and plain, folks... we were down big in this series, but we started playing mean... and now we've forced a game 7 on Patriots Day. Monday, I believe, gives us:

- The Marathon

-  Time to celebrate the Celtic's playoff win the night before

- The Red Sox

- Game 7, Boston vs. Montreal

Tough to beat that, even if the Marathon bores you. Go Bruins!!!!

 

Post-game beating was ‘just plain evil’ - BostonHerald.com

I'd noticed during a regular season game that Montreal fans come to Boston in great numbers to see the continuation of an ancient rivalry. As Montreal was the markedly better team this past season, those fans were becoming increasingly vocal.

That will most likely stop, now.

You see, kids... Boston is one of those kinds of towns that you don't want to f*ckaround in. If you wear your Patriot jersey around in, say, Indiana... people are going to come up to you and engage in some sports talk. There may even be some good-natured ribbing, but you most likely won't be kicked in the face while you lie on some filthy Boston street begging for your life.

Shoot... I can remember being in Montreal on Spring Break one year, tipped to the rits, wearing my black-and-gold #77 and shreiking "F*cking Bourquey, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" at some Rue De La Ste. Catherine gin mill. The primary reaction among the locals was amusement.

People forget that Boston is as close to Europe as you can get in America, both geographically and psychologically. Every time you attend a game in Boston, you should keep "soccer riot" in the back of your head.

While I didn't take part in the beating myself, I'd imagine that the victim's "sin" was that he was wearing the wrong colors on the wrong night when the wrong people were passing by.  A simple mistake, yes... but wearing an Antelope suit on the Serengheti is a mistake as well, and it a mistake that a sensible man just doesn't make.

I'm not condoning the beating... and I don't want to give any tourists the wrong idea about how things will go down if the wear their Yankees hat while renting the summer cottage in Eastham. We're sort of used to it on Cape Cod, and our best revenge is continuing to take those summer dollars.

Things will be decidedly different on smoky Causeway Street after a Bruins game. You can see a more lengthy discussion of the matter in the text here- Redskins Behind Patriot Lines: Five [Plus One] Questions With An Enemy Blogger - FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog- in the "Boston Redskins" part of the interview.

Anywho... I hope the Montreal fan's skull fractures heal quickly, and that he and his kind show a bit more common sense when vacationing here in the future.

 

Dr. Z: Scouts, execs pick apart rock-solid prospects - Dr. Z - SI.com

Just some NFL Draft stuff, but I enjoyed Dr. Z's description of tailback Darren McFadden... "Runs like the wind...which occasionally blows him into nighclubs...where 'misunderstandings' occur."

 

Too much candy on Vimeo... you don't have to be French to think that this may be the cutest kid in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this entry!!!
GO B's!!!!!

http://journals.aol.com/hollistergirlx1/BruinsGirl30/

Anonymous said...

hey Monponsett,
What's goni' on ?
Hey I really really liked this entry!
It has ,( you know), a lot of violence, great graphics, action and a sort of je ne sais quoi and a a great esprit du corps!
I especially liked the part about "Boston can be violent like a soccer game in Europe!"
Wowie!
(laughter)
You go girl!
Hey green Dragon, you at the coast?
love,natalie