Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hoppin' Down Da Bunny Trail

Editor's Note.... Stacey is of doing her one church appearance a year, so Baby Magic puts on the bunny ears and takes over the annual Easter column.

Most sites take Easter off... not us. We're lashed to the helm, pointing the bow towards Here To Entertain You Harbor. Besides... I went to Midnight Mass, so I'm off the hook. Some of us go to church, while some of us crank the reggae, lay back, twist one, hop on AOL, and worship The Man in our own way.

God hasn't been much help to me with the NCAA tournament, I'll tell you that.

My March Madness bracket was 22-10 at the end of Friday, and all I know about Saturday is that Duke lost.... I had a date before Midnight Mass, you see.  I had Duke going a few more rounds, but what do I know? They deserve to lose for stripping that lacrosse player or whatever they did last year.

Duke also has a Blue Devil as a mascot, never a good thing to be rocking on the anniversary of Christ's death and resurrection. I'd mention that they took that name as a tribute to a famous French alpine brigade, but it won't be of any use to you until about December 2008... next season.

College hoops tends to be the forte of the Southern/Midwestern schools that aren't any good at football, you see.... and Duke is the flagship of this particular philosophy, going 1-11 at football last year....but I digress.

A lot of people don't like Duke. They always get the top recruits, and they have a rowdy crowd of kids who don't know any better than to think that they're at a Tobacco Road Ivy League school. ESPN analyst Dick Vitale- always quick to attach himself to a winner- raves about them like he's about to let them f*ck his daughter. Nixon went to Duke, which only adds to the Hatred.

Duke also holds a little-known place in sports history. They were one of the first schools to take part in an interracial game. Peep the link below...

Duke University Alumni Magazine

Long story short, two teams who thought that they were the best in town defied the police and the racist power structure to meet up for a game. One was old Dook, and the other was something like North Carolina State College For Negroes That Was Most Likely Separate But Was Hardly Equal. I'll crank up the tension by not telling you who won, but I will add that one side didn't go "we're the better race, f*ck you" after the game.... no, they just mixed the squads and played another game... Shirts Vs Skins.

Things went uphill race wise after that game, to the point where it is now the White Man who has to answer questions about his race when entering the NBA. I was playing NBA Live in Franchise Mode on the XBox yesterday- with the beginnings of this article about Duke/NCSC4N already banging around my pretty little head- and I still twice passed on what appeared to be superior draftees because they were white.

I may miss the next Larry Bird or Pete Maravich following that strategy... but I won't get stuck with any Adam Morrisons or Darko Milicics, either. Bettors live and die by those kind of differences.

 It all works out in the long run. Besides, if Ainge didn't turn Raef LaFrentz, Wally Sczerbiak and Dan Dickau into Pierce/KG/Ray Allen, we wouldn't have this kick-ass Sportscenter commercial to watch.... YouTube - Celtics Three Amigos Sportscenter

One thing I enjoy about the Sportscenter commercials is that they insist upon portraying the athletes (and there are perhaps hundreds of these commercials) in uniform 24/7, sort of like how the Carver High kids went to class all day in their basketball uniforms on The White Shadow.

I wonder if the Celtics singin the shower? We had "Do the Celtics players sing in the shower, like White Shadow?" lined up in the Cherie Blier interview, but we didn't think she was old enough to catch the reference... I only got it because Stacey has the shows on DVD.

Well.. I have eggs to hide, so I'd better wrap this up.

Here's our finishing move for the day.. a famous Lobby featured in National Geographic:

Photo in the News: Monster Lobster Pardoned

"Bet you'd like to prove that... get your name in the National Geo-Graphic."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummmmmmmmmm-
Happy Easter