Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Nutcrackers and Lighthouses

The Bible isn't specific about Thou Shalt Have A Boston Bruins Christmas Tree Ornament, but St. Paul never traded hands with Jay Miller, either.

 

My sister has a thing about nutcrackers, which generally should bode poorly for her husband. While my Tchaikovsky is a bit rusty, I believe this is about the size of the of the army that drove King Rat away during the slobberknocker in the actual Nutcracker ballet.

 

Notice that I'm not making fun of my sister, who doesn't have a nutcracker like this one:

When he's not cracking nuts or fighting rats, this nutcracker likes to go down to the ol' fishing hole and hook a bluegill or a tommycodder. NC used to have a mustache, but I have children, you see...

He always checks in with the Sea Dog behind him before going fishing.

 

Myself... I like lighthouses.

 

Just a little bit...

John Rockerfeller was once asked if he'd ever have "enough" money. His reply? "I always find that I need just a little more." I'm like that with lighthouses.

We're just scratching the surface, here... I have about 3 dozen lighthouses around the house.

 

Several people think I've gone overboard on lighthouses. None of them rule my house, though.

Yessssssssss, that's a toilet seat.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know?  I could almost see you as a lighthouse keeper --in Kansas, where the workload is light... err...  small.  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

I do believe that you might have purchased some of these now famous nutcrackers for the kids and that the kids might have gotten you the fishing nutcracker for Christmas one year as well as a light house or two.  Great pictures we enjoyed them.  

Anonymous said...

Now see, a guy would have put the lighthouse pic on the underside of the toilet lid. -- Joe

Anonymous said...

He initially installed it upside down.

Anonymous said...

Dear Smurfette
love and hugs. what a lovely set of pictures!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Sheila...

You forgot to mention Mopo's lighthouse shower curtain, the several she has outside the house, the half-dozen lighthouse candles, the lamp, and the bedsheet set.

Anonymous said...

Wow!  The nutcrackers are stunning!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I especially like the toilet seat one. I never thought of such a thing, but this picture makes the idea look really good.  I don't know about in real life.  I also liked the comment that a guy would put the picture on the other side.  So right.  But the photography is great.  And as usual there is a witty edge to your remarks I look forward to reading.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

would be cool if the lighthouse on the toilet seat lit up...you know then it could double as a nightlight guiding you to the loo on those cold dark nights when you've had one too many...

Anonymous said...

Wow...you do have a lot of lighthouses... and I love Nutcrackers but my daughter hates them so I stopped getting them for ChristMas!  lol

be well,
Dawn