Wednesday, November 8, 2006

The Million Cran March

(Editor's Note.... There may be a considerable delay between when you get the alert and when this article is actually finished, as I have to learn how to work the f*cking camera, it seems.)

The best way to win a VIVI Award for Sports Journaling is to go into the hospital for a week, then turn your journal into a Cape Cod photo-essay that has nothing at all to do with any kind of sport at all.

Ah, f*ck it... I already have one of those anyhow. Let's dig deeper into my pictures.

Before we do, it's funny to note that I don't have a digital camera.... I only have the little disc that goes in one. I have a neighbor with a digital camera (I bought the disc to match it), so I borrow it now and then when I feel like posting pics here. I have a regular camera, but there simply isn't room on my desk for a scanner.

I actually visited this same farm last year, and I sort of milked the same formula for this harvest. I actually tagged along with the owner this year, as opposed to my bothering the Portugeuse guys doing the actual grunt work last year.

Anywho... this is Buzzards Bay, MA. It's October of 2006, and they're about 2 weeks ahead of when they harvested last year. I read that as a harbinger of a bad winter, but neither boss I spoke with would commit himself to a prediction.

The two farms (on the same 1000 acre "plot") shown here belong to Mann Farms and R+B Farms. Mann Farms has about 50 acres set aside for organic cranberries, but they were sort of uglier than the chemically treated bogs.

The guy who runs R+B Farms didn't change his expression one iota when I was like, "Oh, I love R+B." Nice enough fellow, though...

>

(Editor's Note 2... Always marry someone dumber than you are, even if you have to go to heroic lengths. The shadow at the bottom of the above picture is the Colonel, accidentally working himself into the pic.)

These cranberries below sort of floated up before they took the machinery to the bog. If you buy Ocean Spray, you may be eating/drinking these fellows before/during/after the football game.

 

Every now and then, I like to lean right over the water and get a pic like below. You already know that I'll drop the camera in the water someday.

The million cran march.

 

Not as if I'd do something like this... but if you want free cranberries, sneak into the bog at night with a Zip-lock bag and climb into the red truck's bed.. Valhalla, I am coming!

This is a Water Picker. It drives through the bogs and stirs the cranberries loose. The farmers don't use this particular set of words, but it makes more sense phrased my way... to me at least.

Here it is in action:

 

This pic only got blurry when I put it in here. I'll figure it out later, when the painkillers kick in.

Fill the truck with water, dump in a F-150 worth of sugar, then light it on fire... you'll have enough cranberry sauce for everyone in Rhode Island.

This is where the reservoir empties into the bog, making a cool Schmoo-like disruption of the cranberry blanket.

Another inexplicable blurring... I'd kill the photographer, except for the fact that I'm the photographer.

Because someone asked, behind ol' Sloppy Dog here is what a cranberry bog looks like when it isn't flooded, which is 11 months and 15 days of the year.

Is this tree like totally spooky or what?

 

October on Cape Cod ... foliage
 
Bournedale... ruff-ly the same area
 
Dog Meets Bog.... yet more cranberries..
 
 
 
A Grassy Noel.....berries
'
 

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG... just look at those cranberries... they look luscious!  I can't wait to be drinking them!  lol

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Whoa...  I've never seen so many cranberries crammed up in one place.  Have a good Cranberry recipe to share?  Are you in the hospital?  What happened Smurfette?  I hope you are up and about soon!!  Take care!!  Julie

Anonymous said...

Stac, what did you do ...electacute yourself trying to fix voting machines? Whatever happened hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I got tossed off a bicycle, and down a hill. I lay there for a few hours before anyone found me.

Anonymous said...

Take about 4oz. (what is generally sold in stores goes about 4 oz.), a cup of water, and a cup of sugar.... boil it until the berries burst... add some stuff if you like (orange zest, pineapple chunks, maple syrup, rum). Remove from heat, let stand... then chill.

For those who like Cape Codders.... add a fat shot of vodka to a glass of cranberry juice. It's drunkeness personified, with a jolt of healthy quinnine... my man Tom at the gas station drinks nothing else.

Don't skimp on the sugar when making sauce. The cranberry is far too tart to eat straight up.

Anonymous said...

I'm stupid...just letting you know prior to my question..lol...The cranberries are in the lake for what reason?....I thought it was awfully pretty and the person who owns the house near the water, is the luckiest person in the world...I would love to live there..but cranberries in the water?....Dont they have machines to wash off the water?..LMAO...-Raven

Anonymous said...

Oops...hit send too quickly...my young boys are running around driving me nutts...OK sweetie..whats this pain killer thang?..Did you get in some type of accident?...Maybe I need to browse here and see what happened..if you mentioned it on you blog....Whatever happened....very sorry...and hope you'll make yourself rest up...-raven

Anonymous said...

No question is a dumb question. Stupidity is not finding out what you don't know.

Cranberry blogs look sort of like hedges most of the year. In October, just before the first frost, they flood the bogs. They them run a water picker through them, which loosens the berries and brings them to the surface. They then sort of herd them into a pile, and a machine sucks them up, separates the berries from the grass, and dumps them in that red truck.

The truck then goes to Ocean Spray in Carver (Ocean Spray's first commercial bog was in Monponsett, btw). They do the cleaning, and the sauce/juice goes off to the market.

Anonymous said...

Monponsett said: "Cranberry blogs look sort of like hedges most of the year."

Tee-hee...  "Cranberry blogs."  

Sorry.  I know it's the head wound typing.  Gorgeous pictures though.  Where I live, we're the world's largest grower of cranberries.  My brother's got a cranberry bog across the street from his house.  It's really pretty, but it's a very popular piece of real estate if you're a mosquito.  

Anyway, you get well soon!  And, to get you rolling back int the Wide World of Sports blogging, do you have any thoughts on Heath Shuler's Congressional win?

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

I just love this entry since it tells me considerable about something I know nothing about. (cranberry harvest)  I came over to this journal from Raven's because I got such a kick out of the witticisms she had collected and reprinted from your quick mind.  Now the first pictures are all coming through fine, but further down there is info and wit and no picture. I suppose if there are a lot of pictures they don't post further down into the journal, which means I will put you on my alert, so I can rush over and see the pictures before they disappear (forever?).  John Scalsi also flagged this blog, too.  It must be that entertaining approach.   Gerry

Anonymous said...

Great job Smurfette! awesome! I see you're feeling fit as a fiddle again!
Wonderful color combinations!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Great job Smurfette! awesome! I see you're feeling fit as a fiddle again!
Wonderful color combinations!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Those are amazingly amazing photos - and now I've got an old Hayley Mills song, "Cranberry Bog," stuck in my head.  by the way I scrolled down and enjoyed more of your pics until I hit some red xes.

But I've no clue how you hurt yourself, unless it has to do with the park that closes at dusk  Heal!

Karen

Anonymous said...

My son sent me over because you needed cheering up . . . awww.  Actually your pictures cheered me up!  My favorite color is RED - go figure.  Also, I love the last picture of the tree.  I've always taken pictures of forlorn-looking trees, but what a background!  Hope you are feeling better quickly.  Blessings, John's mom Penny

Anonymous said...

    Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling so hot these days.  Make sure to milk it for all it's worth.  Make everybody wait on you, and don't let up on 'em until you've had your fill.  You just never know when you will get the chance again.  Oh, and get to feeling better, will you.  xx   Tina

Anonymous said...

I found a helmet for you.

http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/entries/2006/11/10/bad-gravity/579

hehehe...  

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Be well! - Great entry - Super captures!
I especially like #2 photo of cranberries
and the truck reflections shot -
(saw your link at "By The Way")
Thanks for sharing!
_rRose

Anonymous said...

Love the cranberry pics... I bought some dried cranraisins last week. Haven't tried them yet. Thought they would help boost my energy when I get hungry at school just before lunch. And at the end of the day. John sent me here... are you okay? Are you going to tell us what happened? Your foliage pictures turned out beautiful. Okay, Monponsett, get better ... Bea  

Anonymous said...

you were robbed (what is it? two years running) (I always relished your comments..such wit!!)

Anonymous said...

I love you photography

Anonymous said...

Thank you, but the name's "Stacey." "Monponsett" works, too... but sounds more formal.

By the way, everyone... photoartist is no longer a suspect in the Worthington murder.

Anonymous said...

Thany you for your announcement. You would be amazed at the freedom I feel. I don't know who I am right now. 4 years of being labled a suspect and now I am plane old me.
Thanks for the announcement. :)
Love your work

Anonymous said...

and to think I only thought the cranberry bogs were in NJ! super photos!

Anonymous said...

Sloppy dog looks funnier ever time I read this beautiful entry Smurfette! gorgeous there what! and you must get soem really good cranberry sauces ! (yum!)
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Hey there~Since the only sport I really enjoy is baseball (outside of UCONN basketall) I'm glad you took me to the cran bog! Great pics--I feel like I really got to see it! Thanks and I hope you are feeling tiptop by now ;-) Sassy

http://journals.aol.com/sassydee50/SassysEYE

Anonymous said...

Hi

    I am David. I introduce my woodcarving print to you. You may  be very interested in them. Chinese paintings are so wonderful and different that many people can come and buy them. If you buy them, they will make you surprised and happy. You will feel Chinese countryside culture at home. If museums and galleries exhibit these woodcarving prints, maybe many people will be standing in front of them without moving.
Thanks
http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/davidth028
Email:davidth028@yahoo.com.cn  
ICQ:265-058-721
Tel: 0086-023-4865-0296
Address: Tao Hong, Qijiang Gunan Middle School, Chongqing, China (401420)
Truly
David

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages